Saturday, May 26, 2012

SPOTLIGHT SATURDAY



I have been cooking up a storm since Mr. Bentley has been gone....

My ABSOLUTE favorite blog to grab recipes from is Love Veggies and Yoga
I also use Peas and Thank You but have just been introduced so have yet to try a TON of her stuff!

Averie Rocks :) I have been reading her blog since I was a full blown VEGAN in 2008 and always dreamed of having enough energy to bake or as she says UNBAKE away!

Her website has changed quite a bit and she has added all kinds of recipes so do NOT worry it has non-vegan related and easy recipes which is always a BONUS!

If I don't pull straight from her site I definitely get INSPIRED by her ideas and ingredient mixtures...

My Pumpkin Bars were pulled from Peas and Thank You but will try Averie's this week...

I tweaked the recipe with what I had because of course when I start baking..I start baking (NO STOPPPING ME)

  • 1 c. oat flour (ground old-fashioned oats)
  • 3/4 c. vanilla protein powder  ( I used Moduvated Vanilla Protein)
  • 1 t. cinnamon
  • 1/2 t. nutmeg
  • 1 t. pumpkin pie spice
  • 1 t. baking powder (did not have this but used gluten free pancake mix I had in the back of the pantry)
  • 1/4 t. salt (I used sea salt)
  • stevia to taste 
  • 1/2 c. silken tofu ** (I used the flax "eggs)
  • 1 c. canned pumpkin
  • 1 t. vanilla extract
*If omitting protein powder, substitute any other flour of your choice or just use additional oat flour
**For a soy free version, substitute 1/2 c. unsweetened applesauce or 2 flax “eggs” (1 T. ground flax + 2 T. water = 1 flax egg)


Again this recipe is from Peas and Thank You..

My results were fantastic especially since I added some CAROB CHIPS!!  (before I ate them ALL) I gave them to my client so she can see that you can make your own protein bars at home! Plus I LOVE TO COOK/BAKE/CREATE..

I had a refrigerator FULL of vegetables, and I just knew they were about to go to waste if I did not shove them down my throat...

 ..so I roasted them with all the herbs that were about to die as well and I made a vegetable dish so  delicious that I enjoyed it for dinner and shared the rest with my client :)


No excuse to throw out perfectly farm raised, delicious, nutrient filled root veggies and all those herbs that were dying on me!

Another idea is to take all of your vegetables and herbs and than blend them into a paste with some olive oil or coconut oil and make a sauce!



To roast veggies:
  • Preheat oven to 350
  • Spread Coconut Oil or Extra Virgin Olive Oil all over a sheet
  • Place all veggies you have focusing on the root veggies first (as they take longer)
  • Bake for 10 minutes and check
  • Add all the herbs and sea salt, pepper
  • Add the rest of the veggies (onions etc.)
  • Bake for another 10 minutes
  • Done!

Sneak preview of my wedding pictures..



Gigi being cute...(sorry I take 1 zillion pictures of my dogs...)



Today on my way to the farmers market my tire went nuts and I could suddenly feel it weakening as I was driving....


BAM...flew over a curb and cracked a rim.. :(

Thank god I was near a PEMEX (Mexico's gas station)

Little things as such can happen to ANYONE no need to let it stop you from having a positive, productive day! I am so thankful I was already turning into PeMex!

After that fun I headed on over to the farmers market and dropped off my goodies to my client and saw these beautiful gems..


After I bought the whole market, I treated myself to a mani/pedi and felt like a princess! If you are EVER on that time of the month eating crap is not the answer, go get a mani/pedi, your hair DID or a massage! I promise you it is WAY better than Ice Cream, chocolate bars, sweets, etc...

Came home and back to cooking...

Farm fresh omelet with sprouts on top, 2 egg whites, 1 egg, green onion, basil, sweet peppers, arugula,  and tomatoes cooked in coconut oil.


Enjoyed this beauty for lunch since I was so excited to eat all of my farm fresh goodies :)

What are your favorite picks at the farmers market?
Are you going to try the pumpkin bars? (I will let you all know how Averie's at Loveveggiesandyoga.com goes :)



No comments:

Post a Comment